Pages

Friday, April 30, 2010

10 Things I Love About Being Healthy

In my dream last night, I remember that I was using crutches and tripping all over the place. I don't remember what the dream was about, but that detail stuck with me as I opened my eyes this morning. I wiggled my toes in gratitude that I have had the ability to walk for almost two years now (Will be two years next July). It's easy for me to get caught up in my day to day stresses that I don't realize how incredibly blessed I am. I was inspired to write a list of things I love about being healthy.

1. Using stairs
-Being able to use stairs opens a whole new realm of possibilities as to where I can go

Taking my dog for walks


Being Able to Work

Making Meals in the Kitchen


Being on Eye-Level with Other People


 
-From a wheelchair, everyone was usually looking down at me (unless they were especially short). It's so fantastic to look at people straight in the eye.
Free Hands

-I used to have really bad hand tremors and couldn't hold things still (I actually had to use braces 24/7 at one point). I love having hands that move freely without worrying that I will drop something or that my writing will be illegible.
Being Outdoors

-Wheelchairs are generally not conducive to uneven terrain. It's fantastic to be able to take a walk outside.

Going to Other People's Houses

-Most houses are inaccessible to wheelchairs (Something that I think should be designed differently when houses are being built!) and it's hard to visit other people. Thankfully, most public buildings are marginally accessible though. I'm very thankful for ADA laws, although I think they could be even better.

Being Barefoot

-There's nothing like feeling the ground under your feet.

No comments:

Post a Comment