Pages

Monday, January 13, 2014

10 Ceramic Pieces that Blow my Mind

Pottery is an art that I can easily lose myself in. From squishing the clay between my own fingers to admiring pottery made by others, I just can not get enough of it. In my free time, I like to collect pictures of pottery to oooh and ahhhh at. Today I picked out a few favorites to share and I hope you like them as much as I do!

1) Theresa Brooks's intricate coil vase looks as though it were made of soft-petaled flowers. I particularly like this vase because it has a weightless feel to it even though it is a very large vase. Click here to see the full collection and learn more about this artist.


2) This hand-built vase by Susan Anderson spirals inward with an implied sense of infinity. This vase particularly speaks to me because of the non-linear quality about it. To see more of Susan Anderson's work, click Here.

3) This octopus collection by Shayne Greco is so realistic, I could imagine being a bit afraid of washing my face in this bowl. What I love about these pieces is that the sea creatures have an illusion of movement and life. To see the full collection and learn more about Shayne Greco, click Here.



4) As seen in Toronto, Coe and Waito's collection of jellyfish give the viewer a feeling of being underwater as the pieces float weightlessly in the exhibit. I like the immense amount of detail on the tentacles  and the way the jellyfish seem to be realistically puffing up as they reach for the ceiling. Coe and Waito's full collection and biography can be viewed Here.




5) These wheel-thrown vases by Jennifer McCurdy speak volumes with negative space. I love how the space twists around and up, giving the illusion that the pot may vanish with the wind. Jennifer McCurdy explains her creative process in her biography on her website,

"After throwing my vessel on the potter's wheel, I alter the form to set up a movement of soft shadow. When the porcelain is leather hard, I carve patterns to add energy and counterpoint. I fire my work to cone 10, where the porcelain becomes non-porous and translucent."

To learn more about Jennifer McCurdy and see her full collection of intricate pottery, click Here.



6) This incredible wheel-thrown vase by Linda Nowell uses negative space to create contrast between the interior darkness and outer light. I love the intricacy of the top half with the heavy handedness of the lower half. To learn more about Linda Nowell, click Here.

Here is a page that shows pictures of how the vase was created

7) These etched vases by Melanie Ferguson posses an illusion of illumination. The yellow on the sides further the idea that the pot is so full of light it is just bursting at the seams. I also love the weightlessness of the lower half with the slightly heavier top. To learn more about Melanie Ferguson and view the full collection, click Here.



8) This wheel thrown vase by Anne Goldman spirals outward with a feeling of unraveling rather than infinity. I love the sea shell texture on the outside compared to the inner smoothness. To see more of Anne Goldman's pottery, click Here.

9) These pit fired coil pots by Kay Lynne Sattler seem to radiate light like the Hawaiian heritage that inspires her art. I love the contrast, the light and the curling of the dark outer pot to the golden interior. To discover more of Kay Lynne Sattler's art, click Here.


10) This surreal porcelain collection by Kate MacDowell depicts a delicate view of what lies beneath the surface. I love how the pieces are more intricate at the deeper levels. There is a lot of metaphor here, but your interpretation is as good as mine. To learn more about Kate MacDowell, click Here.



1 comment:

  1. i never cease
    to be amazed at the
    sheer creativity and imagination
    of people everywhere

    those pottery pieces are amazing!

    Alison
    Nancherrow

    ReplyDelete